In the beginnings it was called Plaza de la Catedral.
In 1610 when the Santo Tribunal de la Inquisición (Inquisition Court) started to function in Cartagena it was baptized as Plaza de la Inquisición. In 1614 took place the first Auto de Fe known in Cartagena. The autos
de fe were very solemn acts in public places to sentence the accused who were forgiven or definitely condemned
From 1890 on, bullfights were celebrated in this plaza by disposition of the Board of November Festivities. It was called Plaza de la Inquisición until November 11th 1896 when a statue of Simon Bolivar was placed in the center of the plaza to honor him.